Earth Hour 2011: “Live Green” Beyond the Hour
“For Earth Hour 2011, WWF showcased a growing global community committed to taking environmental actions that go beyond the hour. From now until Earth Hour 2012, WWF-Malaysia is urging everyone across the nation to take Earth Hour beyond the hour by signing up at wwf.org.my and pledging to “Live Green: One switch at a time” towards more sustainable lifestyles. The more people who make this pledge, the more powerful our efforts to protect our living planet become,” said WWF-Malaysia Executive Director/CEO Dato’ Dr Dionysius Sharma at the event. He went on to thank Sunway Pyramid for supporting Earth Hour 2011.
WWF-Malaysia’s “Live Green” Campaign kicked off to a good start, with about 9,000 people pledging to support Earth Hour 2011 and reduce their energy use by switching off computers and electrical equipment not in use, instead of leaving these on or in standby mode. We thank everyone who has pledged to “Live Green” towards more sustainable lifestyles, as well as the 250 student volunteers who supported our efforts to collect pledges, especially the large groups from:
- KDU University College’s UNICOM Club,
- The International Islamic University of Malaysia’s Environmental and Nature Club, and
- Pets and Wildlife Society of Taylor’s University College Lakeside Campus.
WWF-Malaysia also thanks the 300 youths who participated in the “Dance in the Dark for Earth Hour 2011”, particularly the following youths who assisted the WWF-Malaysia in leading the dance:
- KDU University College’s Performing Arts Club,
- Ravelution from Sunway University College,
- Broadway Acres from Taylor’s University College’s Lakeside Campus,
- Students from HELP University College, and
- Youths from dance group SNGX.