Partnership to enhance Borneo Pygmy elephant conservation
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah – A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed today between Cardiff University, HUTAN and WWF-Malaysia today, witnessed by Sabah Wildlife Department, to further boost Borneo Pygmy elephant conservation in Sabah.
The parties to this MoU agree to:
- Establish a model from DNA (dung sampling) analysis to be used in estimating the elephant population in Sabah;
- Continue studying the use of habitat and feeding behaviour of elephants in Sabah based on satellite tracking activities to support the population estimation;
- Provide genetic information on Borneo Pygmy Elephant populations in Sabah;
- Map out the important elephant habitats and important corridors for the population in Sabah, and
- Identify the current and future threats faced by the elephant population.
For further information:
Angela Lim, Senior Communications Officer, Borneo Programme (East Malaysia),
WWF-Malaysia (Sabah Office)
Tel: +6088 262 420 ext: 18 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org