How you live your life makes a difference to our environment
Please practise these simple steps every day and help to leave our children a living planet.
In Your Home
- Turn off equipment like televisions, computers and stereos when you're not using them. That little red standby light means they're still using power - and that means a contribution to global warming.
- Save water: turn off the tap when brushing your teeth.
- Recycle your paper, glass, plastics and other waste.
- Send e-greetings instead of paper cards. Check out the range of free WWF e-cards available.
- Help reduce the world's rubbish dumps - don't use "throw-away" products like paper plates and napkins, and plastic knives, forks, and cups. Avoid using Styrofoam cups, plates and boxes – take away your food by bringing your own plastic container to food stalls and restaurants.
Out & About
- Take your own bags to the shops to carry home your groceries and shopping.
- Look for products with less packaging.
- Buy the most energy-efficient household appliances you can afford.
- Use recycled paper.
- Choose wisely and help stop illegal wildlife trade!
*Do not buy products made from endangered species, such as
"tortoiseshell jewellery" (Hawksbill turtle shell) or ivory.
*Do not eat dishes that include parts of endangered species, such
as sharks fin soup or turtle eggs.
*Do not buy medicines which claim to contain parts of endangered species, such as pangolin scales, tiger bone or bear bile.
In the Garden
- Collect rainwater to water your flowers.
- Plant local species of trees.
- Never take plants or pick flowers from anywhere in the wild.