On World Elephant Day, WWF-Malaysia Celebrates Gentle Giants at Sabah Elephant Film Festival 2017
Kota Kinabalu: The inaugural Sabah Elephant Film Festival (SEFF) will be happening on World Elephant Day, which falls on 12 August 2017, from 9am to 6pm, at the Auditorium of Jabatan Kebudayaan dan Kesenian Negara (JKKN) Sabah, Kota Kinabalu. Organized by WWF-Malaysia, members of the public will get the chance to enjoy seven elephant films from Malaysia, Africa, Thailand and Sri Lanka for free. The festival will be launched by Sabah’s Assistant Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture, YB Datuk Pang Yuk Ming.
Besides films, SEFF will feature talks by conservation experts from Sabah Wildlife Department and various conservation organizations, including WWF-Malaysia’s elephant researcher, Dr Cheryl Cheah. In between the films, visitors will also be entertained by musical performances featuring local talents such as Belia Beliawanis Sinarut Ranau (BESI), and Miss Conservation 2015, Miss Olga Willnelia Nasib. Attendees can find out more about elephant conservation at exhibition booths that also organize fun activities for all ages.
According to Dato' Dr Dionysius Sharma, WWF-Malaysia’s Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer, “SEFF is a celebration of elephants, which are intelligent and social creatures living in close-knitted herds. After attending this festival, it is hoped that members of the public will see Sabah’s elephants in a new light, as opposed to just pests to crops and property”.
The following films at SEFF are contributed by Jackson Hole WILD, Greener Media and SZtv, the production arm of Scubazoo:
- Gardeners of Eden (features David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust in Kenya)
- Common Ground (features Sri Lanka Wildlife Conservation Society)
- Mind of a Giant (features the mental prowess of African elephants; produced in partnership with Nat Geo WILD)
- Eyes on Thailand (features the world’s first elephant hospital, Friends of Asian Elephants Hospital)
- Borneo Jungle Diaries (features Danau Girang Field Centre)
- Borneo Wildlife Warriors (features Wildlife Rescue Unit)
- Elephants (features the translocation of elephants to Tabin Wildlife Reserve, Lahad Datu)
For more information on SEFF, please visit WWF-Malaysia’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/wwfmy
- Ends -
For more information, please contact:
Tel: +6 088 262 420 ext 123